The Presidential Townhouse is a building at 716 Jackson Place NW in Washington, D.C., owned by the U.S. Government and is reserved for the exclusive use by former Presidents when they are in town. Purchased by the government in the late 1950's and used for various purposes, it became the Presidential Townhouse in 1969 by order of President Richard Nixon. The furnishings were very sparse until it was refurbished using private funds during the administration of President George W. Bush. The five-story building includes two dining rooms, multiple bedrooms, and space for a Secret Service detail in the basement.
maintenance of the townhouse is provided by the funds set aside for the
office support and security protection provided to former presidents.
The Trowbridge House Foundation is raising funds to convert the Trowbridge House
into a new residence for former Presidents. Once the $6 million
renovation is completed, the property, at 708 Jackson Place NW, will be
linked with Blair House through a private garden courtyard and the basement.