Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Aerial View Of Jefferson, (circa 1950's)
The City of Jefferson's bountiful community has a rich and interesting history. Only an hour's drive from Atlanta, Jefferson was designated the county seat of Jackson County on November 24, 1806. The city, named for President Thomas Jefferson, was the site of a previous Indian settlement named Thomoccoggan. The city was then incorporated as Jeffersonville. Later, the name was changed to Jeffersonton and finally shortened to its current name on June 30, 1824. Dr. Crawford W. Long first used ether for surgery in Jefferson on March 30, 1842. Gently rolling hills and picturesque buildings provide the backdrop for this inviting city. The City's leadership is working to maintain Jefferson's small town character while strongly encouraging the development of new industries to employ the growing local workforce.
A Postcard View of The Martin Institute
Jefferson is a city in Jackson County, Georgia, United States. The population was 3,825 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Jackson County. Jefferson is known for its superior recreation department. Jefferson Parks and Recreation was awarded the class "C" department of the year in 2006.
Washington St. Jefferson, GA
Jackson County History
On February 11, 1796, Jackson County was split off from part of Franklin County, Georgia. The new county was named in honor of Revolutionary War Lieutenant Colonel, Congressman, Senator and Governor James Jackson. The county originally covered an area of approximately 1,800 sq mi (4,662 km²), with Clarkesboro as its first county seat.
View of Jefferson downtown square looking north towards the Jackson County Courthouse
In 1801, the Georgia General Assembly granted 40,000 acres (160 km²) of land in Jackson County for a state college. Franklin College (now University of Georgia) began classes the same year, and the city of Athens was developed around the school. Also the same year, a new county was developed around the new college town, and Jackson lost territory to the new Clarke. The county seat was moved to an old Indian village called Thomocoggan, a location with ample water supply from Curry Creek and four large springs. In 1804, the city was renamed Jefferson, after Thomas Jefferson.
The Northside Of Public Square (circa 1910) same view as below
View of the north side of the square. (circa 2007)
Jackson lost more territory in 1811 in the creation of Madison County, in 1818 in the creation of Walton, Gwinnett, and Hall counties, in 1858 in the creation of Banks County, and in 1914 in the creation of Barrow County.
View of the south east side of the square with shops and parking.
The first county courthouse, a log and wooden frame building with an attached jail, was built on south side of the public square; a second, larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse was built in 1817. In 1880, a third was built on a hill north of the square. This courthouse was the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the United States until 2004, when the current courthouse was constructed north of Jefferson.
View of Main Street, If you turn left past the Firestation you will be on the Athens Highway. And if you kept straight you could go to Winder or Braselton.
Pendergrass Store (Jefferson, Ga.)
Located at: Northwest corner of Sycamore and College Streets, Jefferson, Ga.
Two-story wood frame building with a basement, featuring a two-story portico with pediment supported by square Doric inspired columns. The building has one large room on each floor with service rooms in the rear. Soldiers used the upper story as a barracks. After 1936, the wood shingle roof was changed to composition, the wood floor was changed to concrete, and the stuccoed brick foundation was changed to stone.
Date of structure: 1858.
View towards the east side of the square showing the Confederate Memorial and the highway leading to Commerce, Georgia. This photo shows the Confederate Memorial in the median commemorating the American Civil War and the Crawford Long Museum can be seen in the background to the left. This highway connects Jefferson with Commerce, Georgia.
Downtown Jefferson, The Bank was on the right corner of the Square.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,825 people, 1,415 households, and 1,047 families residing in the city. The population density was 201.6 people per square mile (77.8/km²). There were 1,522 housing units at an average density of 80.2/sq mi (31.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.44% White, 16.05% African American, 1.20% Asian, 1.15% from other races, and 1.15% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.21% of the population.
Jackson County Courthouse in Jefferson. GA
There were 1,415 households out of which 37.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.0% were married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.15.
The Old Harrison Hotel, torn down and replaced with the Crawford W. Long Motel.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.1% under the age of 18, 8.0% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 21.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 88.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.0 males.
Aerial View of Graveyard, behind Ford Dealership
The median income for a household in the city was $41,146, and the median income for a family was $46,755. Males had a median income of $33,512 versus $25,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,456. About 12.5% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.8% of those under age 18 and 10.8% of those age 65 or over.
Bridge Over Curry Creek
Growth over the last 6 years has been incredible in the City of Jefferson. The overall population has grown 59% from 2000 to 2006 (6,456)
Marlowe's Cafe, this was one of the best places to eat in the 40's and 50's
Etheridge-Stanton House (Jefferson, Ga.)
Located at: 186 Lee Street, Jefferson, Ga.
Two story wood frame house with two brick end chimneys on a stone foundation. The two-story high porch roof is supported by square Doric inspired columns. A Chinese-Chippendale lattice-type railing on the balcony over the entrance distinguishes the house. The original wood shingled roof was covered with metal before 1937 and recovered with composition shingles after 1937. The house was moved from 178 Lee Street and the brick chimneys were topped with concrete units before 1936. After 1937, the porch floor was converted to concrete, the column bases were converted to brick, and the house was covered with asbestos siding. Stanton purchased the house from Etheridge who lived next door.
Date of structure: 1836.
Presbyterian Church (Jefferson, Ga.)
Located at: 243 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga.
According to Mr. J. C. Turner, at one time jointly owned by the Presbyterians and the Baptists, each of whom conducted services on alternate Sundays. It was built sometime prior to 1860. The frame church has clapboarding and a gable roof with classic pediment. The porch is recessed and has round wooden fluted columns. The gallery, removed after the Civil War, was replaced in 1972, and the spire was removed in the 1940s because of a lightning strike.
Date of structure: 1840.
Crawford W. Long
Crawford Long was a pioneering physician who is credited with discovering anesthesia.
Jackson County Courthouse
Photograph of the Jackson County Courthouse in Jefferson, Georgia. Cooper Carry Architecture designed this building in the Classical Modern style. Six white columns support a pediment sitting above the entrance to the courthouse. Completed in 2004, this is the county's fifth courthouse.
Jackson County School District
The Jackson County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of eight elementary schools, three middle schools, two high schools, and an alternative school. The district has 345 full-time teachers and over 5,472 students.
Benton Elementary School
East Jackson Elementary School
Gum Springs Elementary School
Maysville Elementary School
North Jackson Elementary School
South Jackson Elementary School
West Jackson Intermediate School
West Jackson Primary School
East Jackson Middle School
Kings Bridge Middle School
West Jackson Middle School
East Jackson Comprehensive High School
Jackson County High School
Regional Evening Alternative School
Jefferson City School District
The Jefferson City School District holds grades kindergarten to grade twelve, that consists of two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 115 full-time teachers and over 1,525 students.
Jefferson Elementary School
Jefferson Middle School
Jefferson High School
City of Jefferson Website
City of Jefferson Parks & Recreation Website
The Jackson Herald - Local Newspaper
The Preserve at Jefferson - Fountainhead Neighborhood Website
Digitial Library Of Georgia