The original covered bridge came about in 1882. For the mere cost of $1,423 including materials, Hurricane Shoals had a covered bridge for civic pride and community functions. It was an original town lattice design. This bridge was a major landmark up until an arson fire in 1979 when it was destroyed. Citizens of Hurricane Shoals rallied and formed the "Tumbling Waters Society" to oversee and spearhead the development of a park in the area adjacent to the Hurricane Shoals Covered Bridge.
LIFE AT YAMTRAHOOCHEE
It is a beautiful park brimming with fascinating history. Here’s a brief historical timeline:
Before 1784 - Yamacutah (Tumbling Shoals) and a mile up the river to Yamtrahoochee (Hurricane Shoals) is considered neutral ground for the Creek and Cherokee Indians.
1784, June 20th–Jacob Bankston, Jordan Clark, John Harris, and other pioneers begin a settlement at Hurricane Shoals.
1788 – The first church in Jackson County is built on the Shoals. ..called ‘Etoho’...the Indian name for river.
1794 - Dr. Henry Therrauld performed the first marriage in Jackson County uniting Bana Mar de Vedo (given in marriage by her adopted Indian father Umausauga) and Mr. Johnson Josiah Strong.
1840 – A flood destroys most of the buildings in the settlement.
1870 – A cotton gin and grist mill begin and continue in operation until the mid 1920’s.
1882 – Bids are taken for the construction of the covered bridge to span 127 feet over the North Oconee River. (You can read this original document on our website.) The Tumbling Waters Society is a group of volunteers dedicated to preserve the history and integrity of Hurricane Shoals Park.
1906 – Dr. L.G. Hardman, Governor of Georgia (1927-1931), purchases the property.
1925 – Hardman builds an electric generator plant that provides electricity to the booming town of Maysville.
1930 – Georgia Power purchases property from Hardman.
1962 - Four industrialists: Morris Bryan, Jr. - Jefferson Mills, R.H. McEver - McEver Packing Company Commerce, Jack Mackemson - Roper Pump Company and Charles McCollum - Blue Bell purchase the property from Georgia Power, seeing the Shoals' potential for a recreational facility. These men form the Hurricane Shoals Park Association, Inc.
1972, May 31 st– Vandals burn the covered bridge.
1973 to 1986 – 18 acres are deeded to Jackson County by the Hurricane Shoals Park Association. The park, with a host of volunteers, begins working to make the park the best it can be.
1986 - The Tumbling Waters Society is formed and incorporated
1990 –The Tumbling Waters Society stages the First Annual Art in the Park. This festival proudly celebrates its sixteenth year in 2006 and draws visitors near and far to participate in the many activities during the weekend event including the Annual 5K run and exciting Duck Dash.
1992 –The Tumbling Waters Society purchases 11.5 additional acres for the park (The Perry Property) and leases it to the county. The society endorsed a plan for History Village.
1993 – The Tumbling Waters Society pays to move the 100 year old Center Presbyterian Church and Harrisburg Courthouse to History Village.
1990 –The Tumbling Waters Society stages the First Annual Art in the Park. This festival
proudly celebrates its sixteenth year in 2006and draws visitors near and far to participate in
the many activities during the weekend event including the Annual 5K run and exciting Duck
1992 –The Tumbling Waters Society purchases 11.5 additional acres for the park (The Perry
Property) and leases it to the county. The society endorsed a plan for History Village.
1993 – The Tumbling Waters Society pays to move the 100 year old Center Presbyterian
Church and Harrisburg Courthouse to History Village.
Not long after the arrival of the pioneer settlers at Yamtrahoochee, a man named Jacob Clarke violated a
treaty between the Cherokee and Creek Indians. This treaty proclaimed that the Yamacutah area was a sacred
Holy Ground and forbid any hunting. Mr. Clarke violated this treaty unintentionally by killing a bear
there. This episode was a source of trouble between the Indians and whites for a long time.
It was after this occurrence, late one afternoon in 1801, that little Egbert Clover wandered away from the
protection of the fort, was seized and murdered by an Indian. Egbert's mother shot and killed the Indian befo
re he could get away. Not long after the murder of Egbert, his sister Flora and her friend Susan Bingham were
kidnapped. They were returned unharmed to Yamtrahoochee after being held by Indians for six
The white settlers eventually won out in the conflict with the Indians, but not until Dr. Therrauld gave his
life for the cause in 1801. In May of 1785 a cold wave dropped normally warm temperatures so low that large
trees, nesting birds and many animals were killed. Later that year on November 24th another strange occurrence
happened. The sun was visible during the day, but it did not emit any light. The sun had the appearance of
Legends of Hurricane Shoals
1994 to Present – The Tumbling Waters Society buys 27.87 acres, moves, sets up several buildings in History Village, and pays for endless improvements to the park and the History Village.
As you can see, it takes the cooperation of the volunteers and individuals, like you, to
continue making Hurricane Shoals Park the best it can be for all of our citizens. looking at the moon through a dense fog. This frightened all of the wild animals and the normally fearless pioneers stayed in their cabins all day. It
was also on this day that the last ceremony held by Indians at Yamacutah took place. The building of
four stone altars that held traces of fire burnings on the Holy Ground indicated that a religious ceremony
of some kind had taken place.
The colonists lived in constant danger. If not from Indian renegades, it was from serpents and wild
animals. There was also the tale of Wog. Frary Elrod's account of the Wog in "
Historical Notes of Jackson County, Georgia" describes it as having long jet-black hair, front legs twelve inches shorter
than the back, a tail with a white tip that was kept in constant motion giving off a rattling sound, red eyes, a
forked tongue that was twelve inches long, and it was about the size of a horse. The Wog was claimed to have
poked his forked tongue through cracks in the houses.