Monday, February 11, 2013
Berry Hill, TN
Berry Hill's City Hall
Berry Hill is a city in Davidson County, Tennessee. According to the 2010 census, the city had a population of 537.
Much of the area of Berry Hill was originally owned by William Tyler Berry and his descendants. Berry died in 1889.
Residents of the area voted on whether to incorporate as a city on February 28, 1950. The vote was 138 to 135 favoring incorporation. Berry Hill became the first community in Davidson County to incorporate since Belle Meade incorporated in 1938. The population of Berry Hill at the time of incorporation numbered around 1,200. The city's first mayor was Ralph Rosa, who served for 22 years.
In 1963, the governments of Davidson County and the City of Nashville merged to form a consolidated metropolitan government, thereby making Berry Hill part of Metropolitan Nashville.
The area is adjacent to 100 Oaks Mall, the first enclosed shopping mall in Tennessee, and the Tennessee National Guard Armory.
Although Berry Hill is officially part of Metro Nashville, it retains its municipal status as a city. Metro Nashville basically acts as a county government for Berry Hill and provides the same services to the city as it provides for the rest of the county. Berry Hill itself has a commission-manager form of government, which includes three commissioners and a city manager. The city has its own police department and trash pickup services.
The Little Town that Almost Wasn't
City of Berry Hill official website