See Rock City

See Rock City

Friday, August 29, 2008

Lawrenceburg, TN

Town square in Lawrenceburg with a statue of David Crockett in the center.

Lawrenceburg is a city in Lawrence County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 10,796 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Lawrence County. Lawrenceburg is southwest of Nashville and named after James Lawrence. The city hosts the annual Southeast Law Enforcement Training Seminar drawing nearly 1,000 police officers to the community each June.


When the first European, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto and his men, walked through this area in 1540, the town was called "Chicasa" (Chickasaw). The Cherokee sold the area to the USA in 1806.

Upon moving from East Tennessee in the early 1800s, David Crockett established a powder mill in what is now known as David Crockett State Park. Crockett was elected as a commissioner and served on the board that placed Lawrenceburg four miles west of the geographic center of Lawrence County. Crockett was opposed to the city being located in its current location. He and his family lived in Lawrenceburg for several years before moving to West Tennessee after a flood destroyed his mill.

April 16, 1998 - Lawrence County experiences the first F5 tornado in Tennessee's history. A total of 10 tornadoes were confirmed across Middle Tennessee that day. There were 4 fatalities across the mid state, with 105 injuries. 2 fatalities were confirmed in Lawrence County. A 100 year flood struck Lawrenceburg on July 13, 1998 temporarily disabling the city's fresh water supply system. 2 people were killed during the flood.

In more recent history, Lawrenceburg played host to the homecoming of former senator turned actor and 2008 Presidential hopeful Fred Thompson. Nearly 10,000 people from across the country along with members of the national media were present in Downtown Lawrenceburg for the historic occasion.

Notable people born or raised here:

Michael Jeter

Michael Jeter - Tony Award winning actor for Grand Hotel, who also had a memorable film role in The Green Mile.

Michael Jeter (August 26, 1952 – March 30, 2003) was an American actor of film, stage, and screen.

Early life

Jeter was born in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee to Virginia and William Jeter, a dentist. Jeter was a student at Memphis State University when his interests changed from medicine to acting. He pursued his initial stage career in Baltimore, Maryland, as he had heard it was hard to get work in New York without an equity card.


His woebegone look, extreme flexibility and high energy led Tommy Tune to cast him in the Off-Broadway Cloud 9 and, on Broadway, in a memorable role in the musical Grand Hotel, for which he won a Tony Award in 1990. Much of his film and television work specialized in playing eccentric, pretentious or wimpy characters like The Fisher King, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Drop Zone. Although occasionally, Jeter was able to stay away from these kinds of roles for more appealing characters like Jurassic Park III, Air Bud, The Green Mile and Open Range. He won an Emmy award in 1992 for his role in the television sitcom Evening Shade. He was also a favorite with younger audiences in his role as "Mr. Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle" on Sesame Street from 2000 to 2003. The movies The Polar Express and Open Range are dedicated to his memory.

James Daniel Niedergeses - Roman Catholic Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville.

James Daniel Niedergeses (February 2, 1917 – November 16, 2007) was an American Roman Catholic bishop. He was the ninth bishop of Nashville serving from 1975 to 1992

Niedergeses born in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. He was ordained to the Roman Catholic priesthood on May 20, 1944 in Nashville. Before becoming bishop he spent 11 years in Chattanooga, the majority of his time there as pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish.

On April 8, 1975, Pope Paul VI appointed Niedergeses Bishop of the Diocese of Nashville and he was ordained a Roman Catholic bishop on May 20, 1975. He retired on October 13, 1992.

He died, aged 90, at Saint Thomas Hospital in Nashville.

David Weathers - Pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds.

John David Weathers (born September 25, 1969 in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee) is a Major League Baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds. He bats and throws right-handed. He attended Motlow State Community College in Moore County, Tennessee and was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 3rd round of the 1988 major league baseball draft. Weathers made his major league debut with the Blue Jays on August 2, 1991, and was drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 1992 MLB expansion draft. Weathers played for the Marlins until 1996, when he was traded to the New York Yankees for Mark Hutton. Weathers won a World Series ring with the Yankees that year.

Weathers is one of only three active MLB players who played for the Marlins during their 1993 inaugural season (the others are fellow relief pitcher Trevor Hoffman) and Gary Sheffield.

On December 20, 1997, he was claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds. On June 24, 1998, Weathers was claimed off waivers by the Milwaukee Brewers. Weathers stayed with Milwaukee until July 30, 2001, when he was traded to the Chicago Cubs, along with Robert Miniel, for Ruben Quevedo and Pete Zoccolillo. He became a free agent at the end of the season and signed with the New York Mets. Weathers pitched for the Mets until June 17, 2004, when he and Jeremy Griffiths were traded to the Houston Astros for Richard Hidalgo. Weathers was released by the Astros on September 7, 2004, and signed with the Marlins the very next day.

A free agent at the end of the season, Weathers signed with the Cincinnati Reds (his 10th MLB team), where he has had an ERA under 4 every year since. He was the closer for the Reds in 2007 and had 33 saves.

Fred Thompson

Fred Dalton Thompson - lawyer, actor and former US Senator and Law and Order castmember. Sought the GOP nomination for President in the 2008 campaign.

Fred Dalton Thompson (born Freddie Dalton Thompson; August 19, 1942) is an American politician, actor, attorney, and lobbyist. He represented Tennessee as a Republican in the U.S. Senate from 1994 through 2002.

Thompson served as chairman of the International Security Advisory Board at the United States Department of State, is a member of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and is a Visiting Fellow with the American Enterprise Institute, specializing in national security and intelligence.

As an actor, Thompson has appeared in a large number of movies and television shows. He has frequently portrayed governmental figures. In the final months of his U.S. Senate term in 2002, Thompson joined the cast of the long-running NBC television series Law & Order, playing New York City District Attorney Arthur Branch, until the network granted his request to be released from his contract in May 2007.

He was a candidate for the 2008 Republican nomination for President of the United States until he exited the race after finishing third in the South Carolina Primary on January 22. He resides in McLean, Virginia, near Washington, D.C.


Lawrence County was created October 21, 1817, by an act of the Tennessee General Assembly from mostly Indian Territory as a result of the Treaty of 1816 with the Chickasaw Indians.

The county seat, Lawrenceburg, was chosen in 1819 because of its proximity to the center of the county and the fact that Jackson's Military Road ran on the eastern edge of the town. In April, 1821, the road was changed to go through the center of the town.

This road was a major thoroughfare from Natchez, Mississippi, to Nashville, Tennessee, and has played a significant role in the development of the county. The county and county seat were both named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, U.S. Naval hero of the War of 1812.

One of the first commissioners and justices of the peace from Lawrence County was David Crockett. He ran a water-powered grist mill, powder mill and distillery in the area of the county that is now David Crockett State Park.

Although he was only here for four or five years, David Crockett had a tremendous impact on the county and is a main attraction for tourists.

In addition to the county seat of Lawrenceburg, other primary communities are presently Summertown, Henryville, Ethridge, Leoma, Loretto, St. Joe, West Point, and Iron City. Most of these were once major towns and their existence came about either because of Jackson's Military Road or due to iron ore mining.

In 1944, the Amish people migrated to this area and have been an asset ever since. They are simple-living people, holding onto their strong religious and cultural beliefs. They do not believe in bearing arms, worldly pleasures, electricity, mechanical machinery or automobiles. They are farmers and skilled craftsmen, and one of this counties main tourist attractions.

In Summertown, Tennessee, located on 3 square miles, Is The Farm is home to approximately 200 persons today.

Founded in 1971 with a spiritual commitment to simple living and self-reliance, The Farm has pioneered a wide range of social and physical technologies appropriate to low-cost, high satisfaction community living.

The community offers examples of right livelihood cottage industries, solar building design, permaculture, micro-enterprise, mushroom cultivation, composting and gardening, and regenerative hardwood forest management.

Horse-Drawn Wagon

Explore the Amish Community in a Horse-Drawn Wagon! Come and visit the South's largest "Old Order Amish Settlement" located around Ethridge, Tennessee. We'll take you into the heart of Amish country in a horse-drawn covered wagon. You will have a fun-filled ride as you take a first-hand look at life on the Amish Farms. See farming done the old fashion way, with horse-drawn farm equipment, wagons, and buggies. Our experienced drivers will fill you in on all the interesting details of the Amish lifestyle. You'll get to stop and visit at Amish farms, where you can purchase some of their hand-made crafts. You'll get to know what these "plain folk" and their "simple" way are all about. Find out why... they allow no autos or tractors ...they have not electricity or telephones ...they shun modern conveniences. We know you will enjoy your visit.

Lawrence County Courthouse Ice Storm winter 1947

Other Places To Visit

W10BV, a privately owned 10 watt television station, located at Ethridge, TN, operates out its owner's basement. Known as Granny's Network, its owner, Sarah Evetts, has become a national personality appearing on many national network programs and talk shows. Visitors are always welcome to stop in and take a tape of themselves and Granny appearing on TV.
The bronze life-size Statue of Colonel David Crockett that stands on the south side of the public square in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, in Lawrence County, is the only statue erected in honor of Tennesee's and Lawrence County's famous hunter, frontiersman, soldier, legislator and hero of the Alamo.

The Amish Community in Ethridge, Tn. in Lawrence County, numbers more than 200 families of highly productive farmers and craftpersons. Lawrence County residents since 1944, the Amish drive horse-drawn vehicles and avoid modern evils such as electricity and cameras.

The Covered Bridge

The Covered Bridge in David Crockett State Park in Lawrenceburg, Tn. in Lawrence County, which is located on 950 acres of land adjacent to the city of Lawrenceburg. Within its boundaries is the historic site of David Crockett's grist mill, powder mill and distillery.

Wade Cemetery near Iron City, Tn., in Lawrence County, began as the Johnson Family Cemetery in 1834 with the burial of Matthew Johnson who settled on the land in the very early part of the century. It is also the final resting place of Nathaniel Olive from whom the land on which to build the town of Iron City was purchased.

Amish Country Galleries located just 4 miles north of Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, in Lawrence County on US 43 North in the heart of Amish country. Local hand-crafted Amish items, art, antiques, etc., are for sale to the public.

Loretto Sacred Heart Church is a gothic brick structure on Church Street in Loretto, Tennessee, in Lawrence County. In 1920 the corner stone was laid with completion in 1922. Outstanding are the main altar and stations along the wall.

About one and one half blocks of the public square in Lawrenceburg, Tn. in Lawrence County, the Tennessee Historical Commission placed a historical marker which states that David Crockett lived at this location, On August 6, 1988, the David Crockett Cabin And Museum, a replica of David Crockett's office, was dedicated. It contains memorabilia, pictures, scrapbooks, displays of articles and clothing of his era."

The St.Joesph Catholic Church in St.Joesph, Tn., in Lawrence County, is the only consecrated Catholic Church in Tennessee. It will celebrate it's 118th birthday in 2003. The church has massive 30' thick walls of native limestone, quarried nearby by the German immigrants who started the town in 1872 and built the church soon after.

The Coca Cola Palace in Loretto, Tn, in Lawrence County, is a converted turn of the century general store made into a museum of Coca Cola memorabilia.

The Old Jail on Waterloo Street in Lawrenceburg, Tn. in Lawrence County, was built before the turn of the century. In 1974, when the structure had become inadequate as a jail, the Lawrence County Historical Society began the renovation of the building for a museum in which to display Lawrence County memorabilia. It was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1976.

Pioneer House built in the early 1800's by a member of the Newton family who were very early settlers in the Blue Water Second Creek settlements in Lawrence County Tennessee. It is of hand hewn logs. The rooms are connected with a dogtrot. Continuously occupied by the members of the Newton Family. It is now owned and occupied by descendants of that family.

No one remembers just who built the first swinging bridge across Little Sugar Creek at Mount Zion in Lawrence County Tennessee. It was probably built by memebers of the McMasters Family who were the first settlers in that area. It has been maintained through the years by people who lived in the community.

The Fall River Mill

The Fall River Mill, located on Clear Creek in Southeastern Lawrence County, is a three story structure 36 ft. high which was erected in October 1898. In 1924 G.T. Wilburn purchased the mill where he ground both corn and wheat until 1942. Today the mill stands as a picturesque and interesting monument to a by gone era.

Laurel Hill Lake, created in 1958 by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is open year round to the public. The 325 acre lake is home to at least ten kinds of fresh water fish, including large mouth bass, small mouth bass, catfish, and bluegill.

About one and one half blocks south of the Public Square, the Tennessee Historical Commission placed a historical marker which states that David Crockett lived at this location. On August 6, 1988, the David Crockett Cabin and Museum, a replica of David Crockett's office, was dedicated. It contains memorabilia, pictures, scrapbooks, displays of articles and clothing of his era.

David Crockett Cabin and Museum

The David Crockett State Park operates the Crockett Museum where milling demonstrations are presented during the summer months. The museum exhibits depict the life and times of Crockett as a pioneer, soldier, politician, and industrialist. There is no admission charge to the museum.

Milling Museum

Welcome! David Crockett Park:

David Crockett, pioneer, soldier, politician, and industrialist, was born near the little town of Limestone in northeast Tennessee in 1786. In 1817, he moved to Lawrence County and served as a justice of the peace, a colonel of the militia and as a state representative. Along the bank of Shoal Creek, in what is now his namesake park, he established a diversified industry consisting of a powdermill, a gristmill, and a distillery. All three operations were washed away in a flood September, 1821. Financial difficulties from this loss caused Crockett to move to West Tennessee where he was elected to Congress. While in Washington, he fought for his people's right to keep land they had settled on the new frontier of West Tennessee. Crockett died at the Alamo Mission in March of 1836 while aiding the Texans in their fight for independence from Mexico.

Dedicated in May, 1959, in honor of one of Tennessee's most famous native sons, David Crockett State Park is located on US Highway 64 in Lawrence County, one-half mile west of the city of Lawrenceburg.

Camping Area

The park's two campgrounds contain a total of 107 sites, each equipped with a table and grill plus electrical and water hookups. Ultra-modern bathhouses provides hot showers, commodes, and lavatories. There is a dump station for self-contained rigs. Campsites are provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are not accepted, and stay limit is two weeks.

Lindsey Lake

The park's restaurant, with a seating capacity of 240, is situated on a hill overlooking scenic Lindsey Lake. Open year round, it features fine southern cuisine at popular prices. Two private dining rooms are available for group functions. The restaurant can also cater to groups of up to 250 persons.
Breakfast: Sat & Sun 7:30am - 10:00am
Lunch: Mon-Sun 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Fri & Sat 4:30pm - 7:30pm

Swimming Pool

An olympic-sized swimming pool with a modern bathhouse and concession stand offers the very finest in aquatic enjoyment. There is ample sunbathing space and a wading pool for children. Lifeguards are on duty during swimming hours, and the pool is open from early summer through mid August.

Walking Trails


Forty-acre Lindsey Lake provides year-round fishing enjoyment, and large stringers of bass are not uncommon. Rowboats and pedal boats are available for rent at the park boat dock. No personally owned boats or motors are permitted on the lake. Fishermen over 13 years of age must possess a valid Tennessee fishing license. Fishermen using boats must provide their own floatation devices and paddles or electric trolling motor.

A full range of recreational facilities and activities can be found at Crockett, including a paved bicycle trail. Other activities include hiking, tennis, softball, volleyball, and much more.

Lawrenceburg Public Square
Lawrenceville Shops

Small shops, frequented by citizens and visitors, surround the Lawrenceburg Public Square. Some of these shops contain gifts, furniture, food, and clothing, just to name a few. The square is very reminiscent of old times, and the friendly people make it a delight to walk around.

The Gazebo

The Gazebo is host to major speeches and some annual festivals. Occassionally, you'll see a band up there playing great tunes.

The bronze life-size statue of Colonel David Crockett that stands on the south side of the Public Square is the only statue erected in honor of Tennessee's and Lawrence County's famous hunter, frontiersman, soldier, legislator, and hero of the Alamo. Inscribed on the granite pedestal is his famous motto, "Be sure you are right, then go ahead." The statue was unveiled and dedicated on September 14, 1922.

Mexican War Monument

Work began on the Mexican War Monument in 1849 and the legislature passed a resolution on 1/9/1850 to appropriate $1,500 to erect it. The monument was created to perpetuate the memory of the "Lawrenceburg Blues" and Captain William B. Allen who fought in the Mexican War. It has a four square base supporting a shaft running skyward and is on the north side of the square. It is one of only two monuments to the Mexican-American War in the United States.


L.O. Crane General Merchandise Store on southeast corner of College St. and Central Turnpike. Masonic Hall on second floor - lodge meetings, dance hall, and church.
Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Central Hotel

J.J. Crane built the Central Hotel in Summertown around 1863. Room and meals $1.50 per day. Torn down in 1960.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Beckham Drug Store

Inside Beckham's Drugstore in 1908 on northeast side of square. Rufus Crowder, Neil Crowder, John Howard, Hart Phillips, Wilson Crowder (little boy), Looney B. White, Rollie Beckham, and Jim Crowder
Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

J.L. Parrish

J.L. Parrish Livery & Feed Stable in early 1900s. Will Black owned one-half interest. Located across Central Turnpike from Crane Hall. Mr. Black holding reins of horse.
Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Aerial view of Lawrenceburg spanning out from square taken in fall of 1950.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Beckham's Drugstore on northeast side of square. (Nov. 1955).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Raven's Bluff after 1902 flood. Railroad track ran along Coon Creek across Shoal Creek to Smith mines. Close to new power house & dam south of Lawrenceburg.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

H.G. Hills Grocery Store north corner of the square and Pulaski St. where Bell's Harness Shop once was. (1930's - 1960's).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Pulaski Street

View from railroad track looking east. Tall houses are on Pulaski Street (year unknown).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives


View of train approaching Lawrence St., next street where tall building is 1st Street - Harvey's Flour Mill (1891)

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

First City Hall on northeast corner North Military Ave. and Gaines Streeet (Hwy 64) where Downey & Jones Jewelry Store was for many years. Ellingbo's store to left. Pete Stout on left in wagon.
Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Iron City Institute

Iron City Institute, also known as the Southern Normal College, was established in Iron City in 1894 and used as a high school and teacher's training academy. People from other counties and states also attended. It was closed not long after the mines ceased to operate in the early 1900's.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Lawrence County High School

This photo is the first Lawrence County High School (circa 1908-1910). It was located across from present E.O. Coffman Middle School on Lafayette St. The first Lawrence County High School, which started in 1908, used this building until a new school was built across the road in 1910. The building had formerly been used by the Lawrenceburg Institute (1893), then the Lawrenceburg College (1903). When the high school moved across the road, the building was used as a public elementary school until it burned in 1912.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

This is a photo taken in 1935 when the Lawrence County High School on Lafayette St. was almost completed.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

1972 Aerial Photo

Aerial photo of the City of Lawrenceburg (1972).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Aerial photo of the Lawrenceburg Public Square (1972).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

First National Bank on northeast side of square. Mr. Spence, Mr. Dugger, and Mr. Dunn (1914)

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

South side of the 1905 courthouse (date of photo unknown)

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Mailmen on northeast side of Lawrenceburg square preparing to deliver mail.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

This is a photo of the David Crockett Court House. This building was located inside the square and was replaced when the 1905 Court House was built.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

M. Richardson's Hardware Store on northwest side of square. M. Richardson, Louise Kraus, Jim Kimbrough, W. A. Dugger, and Clarence Harmon

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

N. Main Street

In the picture will be seen some wagons with mule teams, on the dirt streets, traversed by large flagstones for pedestrians to keep out of the mud when going to the other side (lower right of picture). The large building in the left of the photo is that which was occupied at the time by the T. S. Springer Hardware Store. Immediately behind this store was the A. B. Sidowey Dry Goods Company. (Mr. Sidowey's widow, Mrs. Cora Sidowey, is still a resident of Lawrenceburg.) Further up North Military will be seen the "tower" of the old L. F. Gunn residence, which stood on the corner at West Gaines. The large dark roof of a building at the extreme right was that of a big livery stable, operated by Harvey and Bob McCrory, both now deceased. The picture was reproduced from an old postcard, which came from "The Racket Store", operated by the late W. R. Lewis. The card had originally been addressed to "Mrs. Mabel Griffin, New Decatur, Alabama," and bore a postmark of July 1st, but the date of the year was obliterated. It wass mailed at Pinkney, Tennessee, in the southern part of Lawrence County, near Iron City.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Cotton farmers on the Lawrenceburg Square in the 1920's.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Northeast side of Lawrenceburg square (year unknown).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Vaughan Publishing Company on the southeast side of the square in Lawrenceburg.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Gunselman Wagon Builders

Wagon building department of the W.E. Gunselman blacksmith shop, which once was located on the corner of South Military Avenue and Spring Street. Here were made the finest and sturdiest wagons to be found anywhere, and they were built "from the groun up", complete with red and black paint. In the picture from left to right are: Tom Caruthers, who worked for many years on the L & N Railroad, and who was a visitor down at the shop the day this picture was made; John Gunselman, (with a "draw-knife"), Frank (Teck) Cocke, W. E. Gunselman, and an unidentified man. This figure could have been Mr. John Kollefrath, who worked as a wagon builder for many years in the Gunselman shop.

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

The Racket store on the southwest side of the square. W. R. Lewis, C. M. Hagan, and Maggie Lewis (1904).

Photo courtesy of Lawrence County Archives

Johnny Fleeman's Gourmet Sauces and Dressings

I would like to thank you for visiting the Johnny Fleeman's Sauce web site. I currently own six restaurants and after many requests from my customers to purchase products to use in their homes, I decided to start marketing my products for grocery retail.

It all started with my Johnny Fleeman's Gourmet Steak Sauce and Seasoning to more recently my Gourmet Honey Mustard Dressing and Legendary Bar-B-Que Sauce.

The recipes for my products came directly from my original restaurant The Brass Lantern Roadhouse Grill located in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee. We hand make everything from our sauces, dressings, desserts to even hand cutting all the steaks daily to ensure our customers have the best quality of products served to them.

Johnny Fleeman's Steak Sauce contains only 13% sodium compared to others as high as 51%. 65% Lower in Sodium than the leading brand! So compare and you'll see that our marinade is very mild so you don't have to worry about over doing it. Give Johnny Fleeman's a try on steak, chicken, pork, hamburgers, or your favorite seafood filet. Just brush it on and notice the difference!

Thank you and good eating!

Johnny Fleeman

Welcome to Crockett Hospital

Crockett Hospital is a 107-bed, acute care facility located in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, 85 miles south of Nashville. Crockett Hospital has been providing the best in healthcare to Lawrence County and the surrounding counties in southern middle Tennessee since 1974.

Crockett Hospital is dedicated to providing our friends and neighbors with the healthcare they need close to home. In 1991, the hospital expanded its facility and services with the addition of the Outpatient Surgery Unit, the state-of-the-art Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit. In 1997, the hospital opened the Physical Rehabilitation Unit.

Patient Education: Heart Attack Symptoms And You

Our latest addition is the Women's Health Center at Crockett Hospital, which opened in December of 1999. But what makes Crockett Hospital special is our people. Our health care professionals are well-trained, dedicated, and above all else, caring. Crockett Hospital is fully accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.

"Putting YOU the people of Lawrence County FIRST Since 1884"

To the DEMOCRAT-UNION, Lawrence County's true community newspaper, that is more than just words. It is a statement of our commitment to all the people of Lawrence County. We care about our community. From its office at 238 Hughes Street, which connects with Mid-State Publishing, the D-U is published twice each week, every Tuesday and Friday. The Democrat-Union is a family owned and operated newspaper, for which Jim Crawford, Jr. is Publisher and Editor. Other members of the D-U's team include Charlie Crawford, Associate Editor; Bobby Crawford, Associate Editor; Jimmy Crawford, Associate Editor; Charlie Kincaid, Account/Advertising Representative/Staff Writer; Jessica Mayfield, Staff Writer; Henry Beckman, Photographer; along with numerous other support staff members and contributing writers. The Democrat-Union welcomes announcements, photos, and community columns from throughout the area. We will be working hard towards getting a regular news bulletin added to the link as quickly as possible. Email us with news tips at or call 762-2222 and ask for David or Charlie Kincaid. We also welcome updates on local residents who have traveled abroad. We welcome information by e-mail, regular mail at P.O. Box 685, Lawrenceburg TN 38464, by phone at (931) 762-2222, fax at (931) 762-4191, or drop by our office weekdays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Welcome to Eulan Hooper Auctions!

We specialize in auctions!

Eulan Hooper Realty & Auction of Lawrenceburg, TN has been in business for 27 years. The company was started by Eulan Hooper himself. At the present time the company is owned and operated by Thomas Kobeck.