Friday, September 19, 2008
Conway is the county seat of Faulkner County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 43,167 at the 2000 census. A 2005 special census indicated the population had risen to 52,430, making Conway the eighth most populous city in Arkansas. It is a principal city of the Little Rock–North Little Rock–Conway Metropolitan Statistical Area. Conway is the second fastest growing city in Arkansas and home to three postsecondary educational institutions, earning it the nickname "The City of Colleges". Conway has a population of 57,006 according to the 2007 Census.
Conway is located at 35°5′14″N, 92°27′12″W (35.087336, -92.453315).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 35.3 mi² (91.3 km²), of which 35.0 mi² (90.8 km²) is land and 0.2 mi² (0.5 km²) of it (0.60%) is water.
The Conway Symphony Orchestra
In November and December 2005, the city of Conway commissioned a special census to update its demographic records. The certified results of this Special Census put Conway's population at 52,430.
Conway is home to the following colleges and universities:
Central Baptist College,
Central Baptist College is a four-year, independent liberal arts college in Conway, Arkansas. Majors are available within the fields of behavioral science, business, general education, missions, music, religion, and science. Located on a 20 acre campus , CBC was founded in 1952 and awards both associate and bachelor's degrees. Enrollment is 571 students with a 55% to 45% male to female ratio. Students are required to live on campus their freshman year unless they are over the age of 21, have completed 60 semester hours, are married, or live with relatives. The academic calendar at Central Baptist College is divided into semesters. Extracurricular activities at CBC include a chorus, intramural sports, student service organizations, and student government organizations. Varsity sports teams compete in the National Christian College Athletic Association. Chapel services are required once weekly for all full-time students.
Terry Kimbrow President, Central Baptist College
The city of Conway lies in the middle of the state and has a population of 52,000. Conway is situated thirty miles from Little Rock, the capital of Arkansas, which brings metropolitan advantages.
CBC Athletic Logo
Central Baptist College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
At the annual meeting of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention in 1891, a special committee was appointed to consider the founding of an educational institution for women. Colonel George W. Bruce was appointed the first Chairman of the Board, and property was soon acquired in Conway. Central College opened in a Baptist church in 1892, while waiting on construction of the Main Building on the fifteen-acre campus. The purpose of the institution was to train women for efficiency in home, church, business, and society.
Central College flourished for fifty-five years until its demise in 1947. Following its closure, the campus lay dormant for a number of years until it was purchased in 1952. The newly formed Arkansas Missionary Baptist Association purchased the property for $85,000, and Conway Baptist College opened its doors in September 1952 with Dr. D. N. Jackson serving as the first president of the college. The name of the institution was changed in 1962 to its current appellation, Central Baptist College.
CBC has grown from approximately two dozen students to more than 500. The growth rate has significantly increased over the past several years. In 2007, CBC was ranked as the 3rd Fastest Growing College in Arkansas, public or private. The number of faculty has increased from five to approximately fifty full-time and part-time instructors.
Hendrix College Logo
Murphy Programs are designed to enhance and enrich the study and teaching of literature and language at Hendrix College. The programs seek to invigorate the curriculum, enrich student experience, and encourage faculty development. They accomplish these goals by, among other things, bringing to Hendrix eminent artists, scholars, poets, translators, literary critics, authors, and theatre directors. These distinguished visitors teach classes, present lectures, serve as writers-in-residence, give readings, direct plays, and contribute to the life of the college in many other ways.
The late Mr. Charles H. Murphy, Jr., former Chair of the Board of Murphy Oil Corporation and former member of the Hendrix Board of Trustees, established these programs in 1978 in memory of his mother, Mrs. Bertie Wilson Murphy. A 1905 graduate of Galloway Women’s College—which later became part of Hendrix College—Mrs. Murphy possessed a lifelong love of literature and language, to which these programs are exclusively dedicated.
Bertie Wilson Murphy Building ... more fondly known as the “Murphy house”
The Foundation’s programs are directed by Dr. David Sutherland, Hendrix College Associate Provost and Mathematics Department faculty. Associate Director is Nell Doyle, Program Manager is Henryetta Vanaman, and Office and Building Manager is Sarah Engeler-Young.
College: Four-year, private, residential, coeducational college of liberal arts founded in 1876 and affiliated with the United Methodist Church; Phi Beta Kappa chapter
Location: Conway, AR, suburban city of 52,000, 30 minutes from downtown Little Rock (pop.: 580,000)
Students: More than 1,200 from 37 states and nine countries; 13 percent minority enrollment
Academic profile, class of ’12: 41 percent in top 10th of high school class, 75 percent in top quarter; midrange scores: 1150-1340 SAT and 26-31 ACT
Faculty: 92 full-time, 100 percent with Ph.D. or equivalent degree
Student/faculty ratio: 11:1
Average class size: 16
Majors: 31 undergraduate majors, 33 minors; M.A. in accounting
Post graduate: The majority of our students enter graduate or professional school either immediately after graduating or the following year. Approximately one-half enroll in graduate school within the first year of graduation, while other graduates seek employment and report finding a job within six months of graduation.
Residence options: Co-ed and single sex; six traditional residence halls, five residence houses, three theme houses, and four apartment complexes (over 80 percent of students live on campus)
Campus: 160 acres, encompassing academic, residential and recreational resources, plus arboretum, gazebo, pecan court
Facilities: Art complex, life sciences center, physical sciences center, chapel, auditorium, theatre, wellness and athletics center, new student life and technology center now under construction
The Village At Hendrix
Clubs & organizations: 70+
Athletics: NCAA Division III, Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference: Baseball (M), Basketball (M & W), Cross country (M & W), Field hockey (W), Golf (M & W), Lacrosse (M), Soccer (M & W), Softball (W), Swimming and diving (M & W), Tennis (M & W), Track and field (M & W), Volleyball (W)
Comprehensive fee, 2008-09: $34,030 (tuition, room, board, and general fees)
Financial aid: 99 percent of students receive some form of achievement-based and/or need-based state, federal, or institutional assistance; $17,627 average award.
On The Move
Academic consortium: Associated Colleges of the South
Major accredidations: North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, University Senate of the United Methodist Church, National Association of Schools of Music, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, American Chemical Society
Alumni body: 13,000
Endowment: Approximately $192 million
University of Central Arkansas
Over 36% of Conway's adult workforce hold a baccalaureate degree or higher, making it the third best educated city over 10,000 in Arkansas, after Maumelle and Fayetteville.
Conway Public Schools is the city's public school district, and Conway High School is one of the largest in the state. Its mascot is the "Wampus Cat," a six-legged cat with "four to run with the speed of light, and two to fight with all its might."
Computer-generated depiction of the Conway High School "Wampus Cat."The public school system is broken up into four different categories: Elementary (K-4), Intermediate (5-6), Middle (7-8), and High (9-10 at the East Campus and 11-12 at the West Campus).
Conway is also home to two private schools: Conway Christian and St. Joseph Catholic School.
The City of Conway was founded by A. P. Robinson, who came to Conway shortly after the Civil War. Robinson was the chief engineer for the Little Rock-Fort Smith Railroad (now the Union-Pacific). Part of his compensation was the deed to a tract of land, one square mile, located near the old settlement of Cadron. When the railroad came through, Robinson deeded a small tract of his land back to the railroad for a depot site. He laid off a town site around the depot and named it Conway Station, in honor of a famous Arkansas family. Conway Station contained two small stores, two saloons, a depot, some temporary housing and a post office.
Conway is the home of former Arkansas Supreme Court Justice James D. Johnson, who ran unsuccessful races for governor in 1956 against then fellow Democrat Orval Eugene Faubus and in 1966 against the Republican Winthrop Rockefeller. The conservative Johnson later switched affiliation to the Republican Party but long after the death of his nemesis Rockefeller. Johnson also lost an important race in 1968 for the United States Senate against the incumbent James William Fulbright. His wife, Virginia Johnson, ran for governor in 1968, while he was running for senator.
Conway residents have many opportunities for cultural experiences. The Conway Symphony Orchestra performs many times throughout the year, and Conway Community Arts Association has been presenting theatre and other art opportunities to the community for thirty years.
There are also many art, music and theatre opportunities provided by Conway's three colleges. The University of Central Arkansas's Public Appearances program provides a variety of dance, music, and theatre offerings each year.
Conway Public Schools has very strong theatre and music programs, with large concert and marching bands that consistently receive high marks in regional competitions.
One of the city's largest annual events, Toad Suck Daze, has been held annually since 1982. The three day community festival incorporates live music, food and craft vendors, and amusement rides during the first weekend of May.
Business and Industry
Baldwin Piano Co.
In 1965, Baldwin Piano Company began manufacturing upright pianos at a plant in Conway. Over the years, other piano models were added to the production line. By 1998, the company's 270 employees were manufacturing 2,200 grand pianos a year.
The Baldwin Piano Company is the largest US-based manufacturer of keyboard instruments, most notably pianos. It is a subsidiary of the Gibson Guitar Corporation.
The company can trace its origins back to 1857, when Dwight Hamilton Baldwin began teaching piano, organ, and violin in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1862, Baldwin started a Decker Brothers piano dealership and, in 1866, hired Lucien Wulsin as a clerk. Wulsin became a partner in the dealership, by then known as D.H. Baldwin & Company, in 1873, and, under his leadership, the Baldwin Company became the largest piano dealer in the Midwestern United States by the 1890s.
In 1889–1890, Baldwin vowed to build "the best piano that could be built" and subsequently formed two production companies: Hamilton Organ, which built reed organs, and the Baldwin Piano Company, which made pianos. The company's first piano, an upright, began selling in 1891. The company introduced its first grand piano in 1895.
Baldwin died in 1899 and left his estate to fund missionary causes. Wulsin ultimately purchased Baldwin's estate and continued the company's shift from retail to manufacturing. The company won its first major award in 1900, when their model 112 won the Grand Prix at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, the first American manufactured piano to win such an award. Baldwin-manufactured pianos also won top awards at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition and the 1914 Anglo-American Exposition. By 1913, business had become brisk, with Baldwin exporting to thirty-two countries in addition to having retailers throughout the United States.
Baldwin, like many other manufacturers, began building player pianos in the 1920s. A piano factory was constructed in Cincinnati, Ohio. The models became unpopular by the end of the 1920s, which, coupled with the beginning of the Great Depression, could have spelled disaster for Baldwin. However, the company's president, Lucien Wulsin II, had created a large reserve fund for such situations, and Baldwin was able to ride out the market downturn.
On June 19, 2008, Hewlett-Packard announced it would be opening a 150,000 sq ft (14,000 m2) facility with 1200 employees in 2009. The building, to be built by the Conway Development Corporation and leased to HP, will be located in The Meadows Office and Technology Park.
The Hewlett-Packard Company (NYSE: HPQ), commonly referred to as HP, is an information technology corporation headquartered in Palo Alto, California, United States. HP specializes in building personal computers, notebook computers, servers, printers, calculators, software and home media devices among other technology related products.
HP is the largest worldwide seller of personal computers, surpassing rival Dell, according to market research firms Gartner and IDC reported in January 2008; the gap between HP and Dell widened substantially at the end of 2007, with HP taking a near 3.9% market share lead. HP is also the 5th largest software company in the world.
Faulkner Museum Logo
The Faulkner County Historical Society was organized in April, 1959, with 42 charter members. The purposes of the society included preserving the history of the county through a wide variety of projects and activities, many of which have been joint ventures with the Conway Chamber of Commerce and other organizations interested in our county's heritage.
These have included the following:
The publication of a journal, "Faulkner Facts and Fiddlings," with from one to four issues each year.
The erection of historical plaques and markers at a dozen historical sites, including the Cadron Settlement Park and the Toad Suck landing on the Arkansas River.
The moving of an 18th century log cabin to the courthouse grounds.
Faulkner County Historical Society
The publication of "Faulkner County: Its Land and People," a 435-page hardbound volume of articles and photographs on a variety of institutions and families.
The publication of a hardbound 912-page book containing a census of 120 Faulkner County cemeteries (as of December 31, 1987).
Supporting the development of the Faulkner County Museum, the replica of the Cadron blockhouse, and various programs and exhibits on the history of the county.
When the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad was built through Faulkner County in 1871, there was a construction camp at the site of Conway, though it was not called Conway then. Colonel A.P. Robinson was the chief engineer in charge of construction, and when the railroad had some financial difficulty, he accepted 640 acres of land (from Prince Street one mile south) in lieu of his salary. He and his wife were fond of stately oak trees and of hunting. In the section he chose, he set aside the northeast quarter traversed by the railroad, as the town site and set aside the south half of the section as his private hunting grounds. It is said that he drove a stake beside the graded roadbed a little north of the center of the quarter-section to designate the location of the railroad station. In his thesis, "The Evolution of Conway, Arkansas," Dr. H.L. Minton says:
The most important factor in the selection of the site of Conway was the location of the Little Rock and Fort Smith Railroad. By an early survey, this line was located to pass about four miles to the west of the present site of Conway, and to cross Cadron Creek at a point near its mouth. A climb of more than 150 feet over Cadron Ridge, however, led to the choice of another location farther east in order to make use of a gap (Cadron Gap) through the ridge. And though the new location necessitated a large bend in the road at the gap, it brought the line several miles nearer to most of the people to be served. So far as the railroad was concerned the most favorable site in this vicinity for a town was at or near the bend.
The rural road pattern also favored this site-The intersection of roads at this point (Cadron Gap), coupled with the fact that it was the only point of intersection in the vicinity, tended to favor the location of the town at or near the gap. There were other factors which strongly opposed the ridge, a site undoubtedly superior in some respects to the one selected, but it was not used because of the influence of a railroad official, Colonel A.P. Robinson, who was granted a section of town. He was guided in his choice by the location and size of the blocks of railroad land and his personal preference of certain lands.
The post office for this region was at Cadron Gap. Colonel Robinson was directly responsible for the change of the post office to Conway Station in 1872. When Faulkner County was established in 1873 his town became the county seat and was named Conway. Colonel Robinson donated land for the site of the courthouse, the public square, and the churches in Conway. The town was incorporated in 1875 and Colonel Robinson was one of the first mayors.
Conway Country Club's beautiful 90 acre 18 hole golf course
As late as 1916 Conway was the only organized municipality in a county of 651 square miles, and the principal point for territory extending 60 miles north and northwest and 20 to 40 miles in other directions. The business life, activity and growth of the city date their beginning with the advent of Hendrix College (1890) and Central College (1892). Farmers came for many miles to sleep in bunks at the wagon yard at night and sell their cotton in the daytime.
Conway owes its location chiefly to two factors: the physical element, the establishment of the railroad; and the human element, the fact that Col. Robinson did not want to have to have to go to Cadron Gap to get his mail.
Located in Conway, AR since 1996, ConwayOnline is the Oldest, Most experienced, and Reliable Online City Guide in Conway, AR. In addition to providing an online directory listing for Conway, AR and Faulkner County Businesses, we provide a myriad of other informational and entertainment links for Conway, AR. You can find Conway Movies, Conway Theaters, Conway Restaurants, Conway Coupons, Conway Lodging (Conway Hotel & Conway Motels), Information about the History of Conway Arkansas , a Conway and Faulkner County area Email Yellow Pages Directory, Conway Churches, information about Conway City Government, Links to The Log Cabin Democrat and 57 other Online Newspapers, KTHV Live View Radar, Conway Area Web Designers, Conway Arkansas Information of every kind.
The city of Conway, AR was founded by A. P. Robinson, who came to Conway, AR shortly after the Civil War. Robinson was the chief engineer for the Little Rock - Fort Smith Railroad (now the Union-Pacific). Part of his compensation was the deed to a tract of land, one mile square, located near the old settlement of Cadron. When the railroad came through, Robinson deeded a small tract of his land back to the railroad for a depot site. He laid off a town site around the depot and named it Conway station, in honor of a famous Arkansas family.
Conway, AR was designated the county seat of Faulkner County in 1873, the same year that the county was created by the legislature. In October 1875, Conway was incorporated and, at that time had a population of approximately 200.
Hendrix College Campus
For many years, Conway flourished as a trade center for a large rural agricultural area. Hendrix college was established in Conway in 1890. Three years later in 1893, Central College for Girls was established and Conway was on its way to becoming an educational center. The University of Central Arkansas was founded in Conway in 1907 as the Arkansas Normal School. Conway's economy was firmly established upon agriculture and educational institutions until World War II.
After the war, diversification of the economy was started by Conway businessmen when several small industries were located in Conway, including the headquarters for the Office of Emergency Services, the Human Development Center and the Arkansas Educational Television Network.
There are currently a number of major industries located in Conway. Some of those include:
American Transportation, IC Corporation
IC Corporation is a builder of school buses in the United States which was established in 1933. Now it produces its own chassis and bodies and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Navistar International Corporation.
Builder of School Buses
Originally known as the Ward Body Works, the company became known as American Transportation Corporation (AmTran) in 1980. However, the buses were still marketed as Wards throughout the 1980s. Beginning in the 1990's and over several years, Navistar International purchased an increasingly controlling interest in AmTran. In 1992, the Ward name disappeared from the buses altogether in favor of AmTran (Genesis by AmTran on transit-style buses). In 1996, AmTran introduced the RE, branding it an AmTran instead of a Genesis. In 1998, the Genesis was redesigned and rebranded as the AmTran FE.
In 2000, AmTran introduced the IC, a fully integrated conventional school bus. The first models were badged "AmTran", although within a short time, the buses were badged "International" with the company taking on the identity "International Bus" from late 2000 to 2001 model years.
For 2002, the company's name changed yet again to IC Corporation and the new conventional bus was re-introduced as the IC CE.
On January 11, 2008, IC Corporation announced a layoff of about 300 employees at the Conway, Arkansas Bus Plant.  Three hundred is just under the maximum number of employees that can be laid off in Conway without the company violating the WARN Act, which requires employers to give 60 days notice of a mass layoff or plant closing. In addition to the layoffs, the company also announced a 50 percent reduction in bus production at the Conway plant. IC Corp officials cited a lack of new orders as the reason for the layoffs. However,the company recently announced increased production at the plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma. This has stoked fears in Conway that the company is planning to shut down the plant in the near future and move all production to the newer, and non-union, Tulsa plant.
Acxiom is a global interactive marketing services company that uses consumer data, analytics, information technology, data integration, and consulting solutions to help companies conduct effective and profitable direct marketing programs.
It has been described as "one of the biggest companies you've never heard of." In addition to collecting detailed information about people, the company helps marketers anticipate the future needs of consumers, according to the documentary "The Persuaders." As the world's largest processor of consumer data, Acxiom has identified 70 types of consumers with its segmentation product, PersonicX.
Acxiom has traditionally been known for helping many of the world's largest financial services companies conduct direct marketing campaigns, but now more than 75percent of its revenue is derived from non-financial services clients. Through organic growth and acquisitions, the company has also expanded its portfolio to enable campaigns that reach consumers through multiple channels, including the Web, email, mobile, and point of sale.
The corporation has been listed several times by Computerworld and Fortune as one of the 100 best companies to work for in the United States.
Frigidaire is a major US appliance company owned by Electrolux.
Frigidaire Gallery Professional Series DishwasherFrigidaire was founded as the Guardian Frigerator Company in Fort Wayne, Indiana and developed the first self-contained refrigerator (invented by Nathaniel B. Wales and Alfred Mellowes) in 1916. In 1918, William C. Durant, a founder of General Motors, personally invested in the company and in 1919, it adopted the name Frigidaire. From 1919 to 1980, the company was owned by General Motors. During that period, it was first a subsidiary of Delco-Light and was later an independent division, based in Dayton, Ohio. In 1979, it was acquired by White Consolidated Industries which also owned Westinghouse appliances. Since 1986, it has been a unit of Electrolux.
The company claims firsts including:
Electric self-contained refrigerator,
Home food freezer,
Room air conditioner,
30" electric range,
Coordinated colors for home appliances
Brands now operated by Frigidaire include Kelvinator, White-Westinghouse, Tappan and Gibson.
Some older Americans refer to the refrigerator as "the Frigidaire" regardless of the brand-name (while others use the phrase "icebox") . Still others use the term "fridge" which is generally thought to be short for "refrigerator". This usage is also seen elsewhere, for example in the Philippines and in Quebec (and other French-speaking areas of Canada), France, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Romania, Hungary, Cuba, Chile and Peru (as "frigider") and Israel (In hebrew: "פריג'ידר"). However, in the Portuguese language, the word "frigideira" (similar pronunciation) refers to a frying pan.
Virco is a biotech company located in Mechelen, Belgium. It provides a quantitative phenotype prediction for HIV resistance testing. The prediction is achieved by performing a search in a database of genotype-phenotype pairs and matching the mutations in the database with those of the sample of the patient (Nearest neighbor search). A phenotype is predicted which provides information on the resistance of the virus to treatment.
Virco was founded in 1995 by Rudi Pauwels (Rega Institute for Medical Research) and Paul Stoffels (Janssen Pharmaceutica). Over the years the company built up a database on all the possible mutations of the AIDS virus and the ways in which drugs reacted to these mutations. The company acted as a partner to other companies such as LabCorporation. LabCorp., and others, sent the blood samples of AIDS patients to Virco, where tests were carried out into the virus's possible resistance to the anti-HIV drugs. On 21 March 2002 the company was acquired by Johnson & Johnson.
Kimberly-Clark Corporation (NYSE: KMB, BMV: Kimber) is an American corporation that produces mostly paper-based consumer products. Kimberly-Clark brand name products include "Kleenex" facial tissue, "Kotex" feminine hygiene products, "Cottonelle" toilet paper, Wypall utility wipes, "KimWipes" scientific cleaning wipes, and "Huggies" disposable diapers. Based in Irving, Texas, it has approximately 55,000employees.
Our success stems from leveraging insights from our customers, shoppers and users in the innovations we bring to market. This has led us to the development of entirely new products and categories, and improved performance in existing brands. Around the world, medical professionals turn to Kimberly-Clark Health Care for a wide portfolio of solutions that improve health, hygiene and well-being of their patients and staff. From family care to personal care, in safety, Do-It-Yourself and Home Improvement settings, we're driving our growth by enhancing the health, hygiene and well-being of people every day, everywhere.
As a global company, we are committed to cultivating a fair, respectful and engaging work environment that inspires our diverse global team to thrive professionally and contribute to the communities where we operate. We also have a responsibility to attain a deeper understanding of our impact on the world. Addressing Sustainability issues and incorporating solutions through all levels of Kimberly-Clark is a critical component of our business.
Products of Kimberly Clark
Throughout our 136-year history, Kimberly-Clark has adhered to a set of simple yet insightful values established by our founders – quality, service and fair dealing. These are the standards of performance by which our leadership and employees are measured. These values have helped establish Kimberly-Clark as a leading-edge global company that produces superior health and hygiene products used by families and professionals from all walks of life and cultures around the world.
Conway has also become the central gateway to the Ozarks. Many tourists stop off in Conway on their way to such places as Branson, Eureka Springs, Mountain View, Murfreesboro and Hot Springs.
Conway is located in Central Arkansas, 30 miles north of Little Rock on Interstate-40. Other major highways serving Conway are US highways 64 & 65. It is the County seat of Faulkner County.
This central location makes Conway a major distribution and service center for the Central Arkansas population. Within a 500 mile radius there are 17 states and 24 metropolitan areas which include over a third of the nation's population.
Conway is also a frequent stop over for travelers on their way to Branson. Conway is only 130 miles from Branson.
Conway's population was 43,167 according to the 2000 Census. This shows a growth rate of about 5% each year. Estimates also show that by the year 2008 the population should be around 60,000. Conway is also home to approximately 11,000 college students who live in the city during the academic year. Conway is located in Faulkner county.
The district also serves students and adults of Conway and surrounding districts through an area Vocational Education Center located at the senior high complex. Basic literacy services and GED preparation are offered at the Conway Adult Education Center. CONWAY PRIVATE SCHOOLS
St. Joseph School with a population of approximately 500 students is housed on three campuses. The primary campus is on the corner of Harkrider and Second Streets. This facility contains St. Joseph preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-3. St. The elementary school, grades 4-6, is located on College Street and the junior high and high school building is on Front Street.
St. Joseph School is fully accredited at all levels (Kindergarten through 12th grade) by the Arkansas Nonpublic Schools Accrediting Association (ANSAA) - which is affiliated with the National Federation of Nonpublic School State Accrediting Associations and approved by the United States Office of Education. St. Joseph School is the first K-12 program in Arkansas to receive this certification.
Conway Christian School, established in 1992, is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and uses the A Beka curriculum for K3 - 6th grade. Grades K3 - 4th are located at Second Baptist Church on Harkrider at Monroe St. downtown. The administrative offices are on second floor and office hours are reduced in the summer. Voice mail is checked regularly. CCS and CCHS students represent over 60 churches throughout Faulkner County and surrounding area.
Conway Christian High School is enjoying new facilities on a planned $8 million, 31 acre campus on East German Lane near the Hwy. 286 intersection, 1/4 mile from I-40. The curriculum includes A Beka, Bob Jones, and other selected texts and materials, including higher math and sciences. Extra curricular activities include a competitive sports program for boys and girls, athletic banquet, homecoming, student council, community outreach and service, class trip, excellent chapel speakers, academic competitions, sign language, drama, yearbook, and clubs.
University of Central Arkansas - Originally established as Arkansas State Normal School in 1907; UCA later changed its name to Arkansas State Teachers College. In 1967 it became the State College of Arkansas and in 1975 it gained university status and became the University of Central Arkansas.
Hendrix College - Hendrix College is a co-educational, four-year, liberal arts college, which was founded in 1876 in Altus, Arkansas, associated with the Methodist Church since 1884. Hendrix moved to Conway in 1890. An undergraduate community of approximately 1,000 students, the college is a recognized leader among independent colleges in America. Hendrix offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in 23 majors.Hendrix current enrollment is approximately 1,042 undergraduates.
Central Baptist College - Central Baptist College, formerly Central College, was established in 1952. It is sponsored by the Baptist Missionary Association of Arkansas. CBC offers Associate of Arts degrees in Business, Education, General Education, Mathematics, Music, Office Administration, Pastoral Studies and Religious Education as well as a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Bible with emphasis in Missions, Pastoral Studies and Religious Education and a Bachelor of Science in Church Music and Youth Ministries.
Headquarters for the Faulkner-Van Buren Regional Library is located at 1900 Tyler Street in Conway. The system has approximately 258,000 volumes (including all formats), with branches located in Vilonia, Clinton, Shirley, and Fairfield Bay.
TOAD SUCK DAZE FESTIVAL IN CONWAY, ARKANSAS
Toad Suck Map
Traditionally held in downtown Conway the first weekend in May, Toad Suck Daze will celebrate its 25 th year in 2006. The family oriented festival is free to the public, and attendance is over 150,000 every year.
Toad Suck T-Shirt
The festival boasts Arts & Crafts, Food, Local and National Entertainment, Toad Kids Zone, Carnival Rides, Tour de Toad bicycle race, Toad Jam Basketball tournament, Toad Run 5/10K, Toad Pageant, Business Expo, Stuck on a Truck, a Toad Store, and the World Famous Toad Races held in the Toad Dome!
WOOLY HOLLOW STATE PARK
Located north of Conway off Hwy. 65 just past Greenbrier, then east on 285. Lake Bennett is the central recreation area of the 399 - acre park. Rent fishing boats and canoes. Swimming and picnic areas. Woolly Homestead provides the historical focus for the entire park. Campsites with RV hookups.
Construction on Lake Conway began in 1948, with water fed by Stone Dam Creek, Palarm Creek, Panther Creek, Little Cypress Creek and Gold Creek. Lake Conway is on average 6 feet (2 m) deep, and is 18 feet (5 m) at the deepest. The lake is approximately 8 miles (13 km) in length, and has approximately 52 miles (84 km) of shoreline. Lake Conway is a popular fishing destination. The lake is full of bass, catfish, bream and crappie. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission maintains many free public areas on the lake, and boat rentals can be found on many commercial docks.
At 6,700 acres, Lake Conway is the largest Game and Fish Commission lake and offers some of the best bass, catfish, crappie and bream fishing anywhere in Arkansas. The Game and Fish Commission maintains several free public launch areas and boat rental is available at commercial docks.
LAKE BEAVERFORK IN CONWAY, AR
Lake Beaverfork, also located in Conway provides great fishing as well as swimming and boating activities. The Lake and park are operated by the city of Conway.
TOAD SUCK PARK IN CONWAY, ARKANSAS
Located on the Arkansas River, just a few miles from Conway, AR is Toad Suck Lock and Dam. The Corp of Engineers operates Toad Suck Park on the Arkansas River. It is a beautiful park with pavilions for picnics as well as camping sites.
Pickles Gap Village
PICKLES GAP VILLAGE IN CONWAY, AR
This recreated Ozark village on Highway 65 on the outskirts of Conway features a variety of gift and souvenir, antique and craft shops, a card shop, guitar shop, kiddie land and the Pickle Barrel Restaurant and Ole Time Soda fountain, featuring hickory-smoked barbecue, homemade fudge and many other delicacies. (Located off Hwy. 65N, two miles from I-40.)
A youth center for teens to hangout, play pool, foozball, and Video games. The Edge is an outreach of Revolution Student Ministries, a youth ministry of The Church Alive, to the students of this Region. The Edge website is http://www.theedgeonline.ws
CONWAY RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
The city of Conway maintains six public parks and Beaverfork Lake. The parks are:
Don Owens Memorial
There are three private 18-hole golf courses available to members and their guests. The courses are located at Cadron Valley Country Club, Conway Country Club, and Sentiniel Valley Country Club. HUNTING, FISHING, BOATING, AND CAMPING IN CONWAY, ARKANSAS
Cadron Settlement Park
Harris Brake Wildlife Management Area
Ouchita National Forest
Petit Jean State Park
Toad Suck Park
Woolly Hollow State Park SOCIAL AND CULTURAL OPPORTUNITIES IN CONWAY, AR
3 Local universities have active art programs for the general public including music, art exhibits, special speakers and drama. An annual concert is presented by the Conway Civic Orchestra.
Silver Moon Cinema,
Silver Moon Cinema
Silver Moon Cinema big-screen celebration of movies – old and new. With its old-fashioned, outdoor summer entertainment and laid-back family fun, Silver Moon Cinema is located at Toad Suck Square at the corner of Oak and Front Streets in downtown Conway, Arkansas.
Silver Moon Cinema
Silver Moon Cinema, a Conway Park and Recreations program, is comprised of a volunteer staff with event proceeds going to local area charities.
Silver Moon Cinema
The 2006 season starts May 7 with one movie a month through September and two in October. Movies start at dark and the times change depending on the pre-movie activities, so check the website frequently