Jasper, GeorgiaJasper is a city in Pickens County, Georgia, United States. The population was 3,684 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Pickens County.
Jasper, Georgia, 1876
In 1876 Jasper was a post village of Pickens County and the county seat. The population of Jasper was 110. The village was 38 miles to Cartersville on the Western and Atlantic railroad. The following businesses were found in the 1876-1877 Georgia State Directory.*
|* Georgia State Directory, Containing a Full List of Names of Persons and Firms Engaged in Business in the Cities and Towns of Georgia; A Shipper's Guide; a United States Post Office Directory; State and County Officers; a New Map of the State; A Classified Index of all Business and Professional Persons of the State; and a Business Directory of Chattanooga, Tenn. (Nashville, Tenn.: Wheeler, Marshall & Bruce, 1876), 211-212.|
Some postcard views of Jasper and vicinity
PICKENS COUNTY COURTHOUSE
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF JASPER
VIEW OF TATE MOUNTAIN ESTATES
CONNAHAYNEE LODGE (the lodge has since burned down)
Situated on an enormous vein of marble is the historic Tate House. Built as a personal home by Colonel Sam Tate, land/baron, philanthropist and business tycoon. Passing the north of the mansion is the “Old Federal Road” where the Cherokee Indians lived until ordered off by the “Treaty of New Echota.” In 1834, this led to the forced removal known as “The Trail of Tears.” As a result, the Tate House is now the fifth site on The Chieftain Trail, dedicated by the governor of Georgia, August 1, 1988.
Colonel Sam died in 1938 at the age of 78, only 12 years after moving into his house. Neither he, his brother Luke nor his sister Miss Flora ever married. The last of the immediate family left the house in 1955.
The house remained unoccupied and neglected until 1974, when Ms. Ann Laird of Arizona discovered it. She purchased the house and began a 10-year restoration project.
The interior of the house is as beautiful as the exterior. The entire first floor boasts varying types of marble floors and marble mantles on all four fireplaces. The second floor has four bedrooms, a morning kitchen and an office. Each bedroom has a fireplace. The summer kitchen has the original triple oak iceboxes and tin sink with butler’s pantry.
In January 2001, the estate was purchased by Holbrook Properties, LP. Lois Holbrook and Marsha Mann plan to continue the restoration of the mansion and gardens.
Recently named one of the top “must see” places in Georgia by Georgia Magazine, the beautiful pink marble mansion is one of the most photographed privately owned homes in Georgia.
Picture of one of the OLD trees on the grounds at the Historic Tate House.