The pavilion building was originally constructed for the World Cotton Centennial 1884 Worlds Fair in New Orleans
Abita Springs is a town in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 2,365 at the 2010 census. It is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Economy:The Abita Brewing Company was established in 1986 as a microbrewery, and in 1994 they added a brew pub and restaurant. Abita's beer is brewed with the pure water of the artesian wells in Abita Springs.
The UCM Museum (pronounced "you see 'em", and also known as the "Abita Mystery House") is an Abita Springs tourist attraction. The museum features an eclectic collection of antiques (particularly electronics and arcade games) and dozens of examples of proprietor John Preble's folk art, which ranges from the whimsical to the macabre.
The Abita Springs Opry is "a non-profit organization dedicated to the presentation and preservation of Louisiana roots music". "The Opry" presents 6 concerts per year of roots music by performers from throughout the United States. The concerts are presented in the auditorium of the Abita Springs Town Hall. The concerts are broadcast on a number of radio stations and on the Southeastern Channel and public-access television cable TV channels throughout the USA.
EducationSt. Tammany Parish Public Schools operates local public schools:
- K-3: Abita Springs Elementary School (Abita Springs)
- 4-6: Abita Springs Middle School (Abita Springs)
- 7-8: Fontainebleau Junior High School (unincorporated St. Tammany Parish)
- 9-12: Fontainebleau High School (unincorporated St. Tammany Parish)
- Dick Hart, professional golfer.
"Town of Abita Springs, Louisiana". Town of Abita Springs, Louisiana.
Louisiana Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism. "Abita Springs Historical Marker"
- Abita Springs Elementary Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Abita Springs Middle Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Fountainebleau Junior High Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools.
- Fontainebleau High School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools.
- Town of Abita Springs official website
- Abita Mystery House