Monday, February 11, 2013
Algood Community Center
Algood is a city in Putnam County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 3,495 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Cookeville Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Algood United Methodist Church
While Algood was not established until the late 19th century, in the early 19th century a small community developed just south of modern Algood at White Plains, an antebellum plantation and important stopover along the Walton Road (which connected Nashville and Knoxville). In the 1880's, the Nashville & Knoxville Railroad erected a depot at what is now Algood. The land on which the depot was built was purchased from a circuit rider and early settler named Joel Algood, and thus the train stop was named after him. For a period of time the area would be called Algood's Old Fields. In 1899, the Algood Methodist Church (now Algood United Methodist Church) was built on land donated by the children of this early settler. Algood was initially incorporated in 1901, but repealed its own charter two years later. The town reincorporated in 1911.
The town is situated at the base of Algood Mountain (el. 1,456 feet (444 m)), one of a series of low, wide ridges in the area that present as "stair steps" from the Cumberland Plateau to the Highland Rim. Algood is centered along State Route 42 (Main Street) just east of the road's two junctions with State Route 111.
City of Algood — official site
Posted by Palmer at 4:00 PM