- 2 packages pie crust dough, for 9" pies
- 6 baking apples, about 3 inches in diameter – pared and cored
- 3 Tbsp raisins
- 3 Tbsp nuts, chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup water
- Heat oven to 425 F. Prepare pastry as directed except roll ⅔ of the dough into a 14” square; cut into 4 squares. Roll remaining dough into a 14x7" rectangle and cut in half. Place an apple in the center of each square.
- Mix the raisins and nuts together and fill center of each apple. Moisten the corners of the squares and bring 2 opposing corners of pastry up over the apple and press together tightly. Fold the sides of the remaining corners (as if wrapping a package); bring corners up over apple and press together. Place the dumplings (not touching each other) in a large ungreased baking dish.
- Heat the brown sugar and water to boiling and carefully pour around the dumplings. Spoon syrup over dumplings 2 or 3 times during baking (I used a baster) and bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden and apples are tender. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.