See Rock City

See Rock City

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Hand Me Down My Walking Cane


Oh Hand me down my walkin' cane

D7 
Oh Hand me down my walkin' cane
Oh Hand me down my walkin' cane,
I'm gonna catch the midnight train,

D7 
 Cause all my sins are taken away.   
Oh, hand me down my bottle of corn,
('ll get drunk as sure's you're born.

Oh I've got a wife that's six foot tall
She sleeps in the kitchen with her feet in the hall.

Oh I've got a wife and a bulldog too,
My wife don't love me but my bulldog do.

Oh, I got drunk and I  landed in jail,
And there wasn't no one to go my bail.

Come on, Mom, won't you go my bail,
And get me out of this Goddamn jail?

The meat is tough, and the beans are bad,
Oh, my God, I can't eat that.

If I had  listened to what )you said,
I'd be at home in my feather bed.

If I should die in Tennessee,
Just send my bones home C.O.D.

But if I die in New York State,
Just ship my body back by freight.

If I should die in Arkansas,
Just send my bones to my mother-in-law.

The devil chased me 'round a stump,
I thought he'd catch me at e\ery jump.

Oh, hell is deep, and hell is wide,
Ain't got no bottom, ain't got no side.

Now some folks say, it ain't no fun,
When a song like this goes on and on.

Yes,  on and on and on and on,
On and on and on and on.

Source:   traditionalmusic.co.uk